05 Aug 2013 09:30
Tags - 0x80072f8f activation activation- error windows
This is a Windows Activation error. It occurs during activation interval. Users could not activate their version of Windows. The interesting thing is that it occurs even though both the DVD and the Product Key used are genuine.
To get rid of error 0x80072f8f, follow the guidelines mentioned below. Do the steps exactly in the given manner until you get rid of the error message.
1. Switch to Administrator User Account
2. Repair Previous Traces of Windows Activation
3. Disable Firewall
4. Disable User Account Control
5. Delete Tokens Data File
Switch to Administrator User Account
Are you trying to activate Windows from a Standard User Account? If yes, it wouldn’t happen. It requires you to log-in as an Administrator in order to obtain administrative privileges. Log-off the current session and log-in as an Administrator.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Click the arrow displayed next to the Shutdown option.
3. Select “Switch User”.
4. Select Administrator user account, provide its password and click the Log-In button.
Repair Previous Traces of Windows Activation
Failed activation attempts cause Registry changes. The entries still left unchanged. This is the reason why you’re experiencing Windows Activation error 0x80072f8f. Removed previous traces from the Registry as outlined below:
1. Download RegInOut System Utilities.
2. Install and run the program.
3. Click the “Start” button under “Registry Repair” section.
4. Let the Registry scan finish. As soon as the process completes, please do click the “Fix Errors” button.
Firewall, an integrated security component, might be blocking any attempts to activate Windows. In general, the Windows Firewall does not lead this problem. If you’re using a third party Firewall software, you’re supposed to disable it.
1. Click Start | Control Panel | System and Security | Windows Firewall.
2. Click “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”. (At the left hand side panel)
3. Disable the firewall completely. Click OK.
Third Party Firewall
1. Open your Firewall/ System Security software.
2. Click the Settings button.
3. Click Firewall tab.
4. Disable the firewall and click “Save Changes” button.
Disable User Account Control
User Account Control is another security measure introduced in Windows 8/ 7 and Vista operating systems. You receive error 0x80072f8f because of conflicts with the UAC.
1. Click Start | Control Panel | User Accounts and Family Safety.
2. Click User Accounts | Change User Account Control Settings.
3. Move the slider to the extreme bottom to select “Never Notify” option.
4. Click OK | Close.
Delete Tokens Data File
Tokens.dat is a file located in the Windows directory. This file is used during Windows activation. Problem with this file cause Error 0x80072f8f.
First of all, you’ll have to stop the Software Protection service. This is because the Tokens file is
used by this service. Then you can securely delete the target file.
1. Click Start | Search.
2. Type “SERVICES.MSC” in the Search box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. Scroll down and right click the “Software Protection” service.
5. Select Stop option.
6. Open My Computer, locate following directory:
7. Delete the Tokens.dat file.
8. Now open Services and stop the “Software Protection” service.