Application Load Error 5 - 20 Aug 2013 12:13
Fix Application Load Error 5
The error is known to appear after installing a new program/ game. A program/ game may download and install successfully. But whenever the user tries to load it, it crashes with Application Load Error 5.
· Check the program for Compatibility Issues
· Uninstall and Reinstall the Steam Client
· Update .NET Framework
· Correct Registry Errors
· Disable Your Antivirus
Recommended: Download Repair tool to Fix Error 5
Check the Program for Compatibility Issues
The program you’re trying to open could be incompatible. Every program is designed to run on specific versions of Windows. For example: the newly launched software programs are designed to run on Windows 8/ 7. You could either have older version of Windows or otherwise the program version is too old.
Check-out the issue with the help of ReadMe file which is usually located at the root of installation media. Make sure that the program supports the version of Windows you’re currently using.
If it doesn’t support, you can go through compatibility settings as shown below:
1. Right click the program shortcut on your desktop.
2. Select Properties.
4. In the Shortcut Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.
5. Check-up the box named “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.
6. Select an earlier version of Windows from the dropdown box and then click OK.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Steam Client
Steam is used to load different games. Problem with the Steam Client may lead application load error 5. Uninstall and reinstall it to troubleshoot the issue.
1. Click the Start button, select Control Panel.
2. Click Programs | Uninstall a Program.
3. Select “Steam” from the list of installed programs.
4. Click the Uninstall button.
5. Follow the wizard and restart your machine.
6. Download new Steam Client and install it again.
Update .Net Framework
Do you use latest version of Microsoft .NET framework? It seems that you could have outdated .NET Framework installed. Update the program to the latest version available at Microsoft website.
Correct Registry Errors
Windows Registry is database. It contains game settings and configurations. The Registry needs to be in healthy state in order to run the games smoothly. Problems with the information saved in the registry can cause failure to launch the application.
1. Download RegInOut System Utilities.
2. Under Registry Repair section, click the Start button. After the list of all errors appears, click Fix errors button.
Disable your Antivirus
Sometime it happens that our antivirus program conflicts with the games. It prevents network attempts made to retrieve required information. In such cases, we can temporarily disable real-time protection of the antivirus program.
1. Right-click on your Antivirus Icon in the System Tray area of your Taskbar. (Extreme right side).
2. Select Disable Until Restart option. (Note: different security programs have different ways to disable.) - Comments: 0
How to Fix Error 0x80072f8f -- Windows Activation Error - 05 Aug 2013 09:30
This is a Windows Activation error. It occurs during activation interval. Users could not activate their version of Windows. The interesting thing is that it occurs even though both the DVD and the Product Key used are genuine.
To get rid of error 0x80072f8f, follow the guidelines mentioned below. Do the steps exactly in the given manner until you get rid of the error message.
1. Switch to Administrator User Account
2. Repair Previous Traces of Windows Activation
3. Disable Firewall
4. Disable User Account Control
5. Delete Tokens Data File
Switch to Administrator User Account
Are you trying to activate Windows from a Standard User Account? If yes, it wouldn’t happen. It requires you to log-in as an Administrator in order to obtain administrative privileges. Log-off the current session and log-in as an Administrator.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Click the arrow displayed next to the Shutdown option.
3. Select “Switch User”.
4. Select Administrator user account, provide its password and click the Log-In button.
Repair Previous Traces of Windows Activation
Failed activation attempts cause Registry changes. The entries still left unchanged. This is the reason why you’re experiencing Windows Activation error 0x80072f8f. Removed previous traces from the Registry as outlined below:
1. Download RegInOut System Utilities.
2. Install and run the program.
3. Click the “Start” button under “Registry Repair” section.
4. Let the Registry scan finish. As soon as the process completes, please do click the “Fix Errors” button.
Firewall, an integrated security component, might be blocking any attempts to activate Windows. In general, the Windows Firewall does not lead this problem. If you’re using a third party Firewall software, you’re supposed to disable it.
1. Click Start | Control Panel | System and Security | Windows Firewall.
2. Click “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”. (At the left hand side panel)
3. Disable the firewall completely. Click OK.
Third Party Firewall
1. Open your Firewall/ System Security software.
2. Click the Settings button.
3. Click Firewall tab.
4. Disable the firewall and click “Save Changes” button.
Disable User Account Control
User Account Control is another security measure introduced in Windows 8/ 7 and Vista operating systems. You receive error 0x80072f8f because of conflicts with the UAC.
1. Click Start | Control Panel | User Accounts and Family Safety.
2. Click User Accounts | Change User Account Control Settings.
3. Move the slider to the extreme bottom to select “Never Notify” option.
4. Click OK | Close.
Delete Tokens Data File
Tokens.dat is a file located in the Windows directory. This file is used during Windows activation. Problem with this file cause Error 0x80072f8f.
First of all, you’ll have to stop the Software Protection service. This is because the Tokens file is
used by this service. Then you can securely delete the target file.
1. Click Start | Search.
2. Type “SERVICES.MSC” in the Search box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. Scroll down and right click the “Software Protection” service.
5. Select Stop option.
6. Open My Computer, locate following directory:
7. Delete the Tokens.dat file.
8. Now open Services and stop the “Software Protection” service.
Windows Update Freezes - 17 Jul 2013 07:01
Windows Update is a great tool to make sure your computer is up-to-date with latest patches and updates. It offers exciting updates to fix problems concerning with various objects.
Most of the time, the tool does its job without much user attention. However many people have come across Windows Update freezes. The main problem is that the tool hangs or freezes in middle. That in fact, takes a little longer time than expected. If you’re encountering the same problem, here are the solutions outlined for you:
1. Update BIOS
2. Stop Services
3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
4. Delete Corrupt Downloader Files
5. Restart Windows Update Services
6. Restore the System
An outdated BIOS can cause Windows Update freezes. Since the BIOS is involved with system board and other hardware, you should have the latest version installed.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Type “MSINFO32” in the Search box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. System Information program opens.
5. Under System Summary, the BIOS Version appears. Note it down for future reference.
6. Visit the website of your computer manufacturer, download the latest BIOS version and install it.
Non-Microsoft services such as error reporting tools, scheduled tasks may cause Windows Update freezes. Since they lead Higher CPU usage, your operating system gets little amount of memory for performing Windows Update. Stop the unnecessary services by following the steps given below:
1. Download RegInOut System Utilities.
2. Install and run the program.
3. Click the Optimize button under Optimize Services.
4. Select a new profile and confirm your action.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a program designed by Microsoft to diagnose problems with the update utility. It is a kind of automatic fix-it utility. Open Windows Update Troubleshooter as shown here:
1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Press F3 key and type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box.
3. Click Troubleshooting | System and Security.
4. Click Windows Update.
5. The Troubleshooter program will detect and fix problems.
Delete Corrupt Downloader Files
The update downloader files are located in the Network Downloader folder. Corrupt file contents lead update lags issue. Run the Command Prompt and delete the files as shown below:
1. Click the Start button, point to All Programs | Accessories. Right click Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator.
2. Type following command-
Restart Windows Update Services
Windows Update services might need to be restarted. Stop and re-start the services again to prevent update lags.
1. Open Command Prompt.
2. Type following commands-
net start bits
net start wuauserv
Restore the System
If the update lagging problem still occurs, restore your system to an earlier date. Here are the steps to do so:
1. Click the Start button.
2. Point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
3. Click Next, select a system restore point and confirm. - Comments: 0
Windows 8 Driver Updates -- Find Missing Drivers - 12 Jul 2013 10:12
Windows 8 driver update problem is so common in the Consumer Preview edition. Majority of users complain audio driver issue. This article would guide you how to update drivers in Windows 8. It contains troubleshooting steps that are helpful for resolving driver update issue.
Below are outlined some important steps through which you can update Windows 8 Drivers without any hassle.
Steps to Update Drivers in Windows 8:
· Update Drivers in Windows 8
· Change Windows 8 Settings
· Modify/ Repair Windows 8 Registry
· Set Audio Service to Automatic
Update Drivers in Windows 8
Many users are complaining they are having problem with their audio driver in Windows 8. So, we shall focus sound driver and rest of the drivers can be updated similarly. If you are experiencing problem with your Sound Driver, you need to follow the procedure given below:
1. First of all check your Sound Card Name and Model Number.
2. Download Windows 8 compatible drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
3. Install latest driver by following the on-screen instructions.
4. Restart Windows 8.
Change Windows 8 Settings
If you are still encountering sound problem after updating your sound driver, change Windows 8 settings given below. Here are simple steps through which you can change Windows 8 Settings:
1. Close all open programs. Click Settings in the metro interface.
2. Select Show Administrative Tools. Look for your Sound Card Name.
3. Click on icon for Configuration.
4. Click on Speaker. Click on Turn OFF 7.1 Settings.
5. Restart Windows 8.
Modify/ Repair Windows 8 Registry
If you are still having issues with your sound in Windows 8, the best thing to do is changing Registry settings. Follow the steps written below:
1. Close all active programs.
2. Open Command Prompt in Windows 8 and input “REGEDIT” without quotes.
3. In the Registry Editor search for AUDIOSRV (you can do that by pressing CTRL + F).
4. Now edit “requiredprivileges”.
5. Delete data from REQUIREDPRIVILEGES.
6. Close Registry Editor. Sound should work fine.
Note: Registry is a key component of Windows operating system. It needs maintenance on a regular basis. Hence it is recommended to use Windows 8 Registry Cleaner to fix the problem.
Set Audio Service to Automatic
It could be a reason that the most important audio service is stopped. Re-start it in order to fix Windows 8 Driver Updates error.
1. In Windows 8, open Settings through Metro Interface.
2. In Settings, type “Services” (without quotes). Now right-click on Windows 8 Audio service and select Properties.
3. Set Startup Type=> Automatic.
4. Click the Start button to immediately start the service.
5. Restart Windows 8. - Comments: 0
Improve Firefox Security - 10 Jul 2013 13:48
As long as browser security is concerned, Mozilla Firefox works slightly different than Internet Explorer. In Firefox there is nothing like Security Zones and Digital Signatures; unlike Internet Explorer. It doesn’t mean Firefox has compromised in the user security and privacy. Some of its security features are designed in a different way.
In this article we’ll review the Firefox security features and know different ways to improve Firefox security.
Reviewing Firefox Security:
1. No Digital Signatures
2. Absence of ActiveX
3. Anti-Phishing & Anti-Malware Feature
4. Open Source Code- Pros & Cons
5. Using Third Party Security Plug-Ins
6. Set the Master Password
No Digital Signatures
There is nothing like Digital Signature in Firefox. A program manager at Microsoft pointed this out as a serious flaw. However the developers of Firefox felt no need to introduce Digital Signatures because of existence of many fraudulent Digital Signatures. Another reason is that anyone can obtain a Digital Signatures by paying an amount of money. Does it guarantee complete security of the software? No, it doesn’t.
Absence of ActiveX
ActiveX are part of Internet Explorer which let the user run small application programs and download scripts to his computer. This causes a security risk, if you run applications or download scripts from untrusted sources.
Firefox compromises with the performance in order to provide better security. There is absence of ActiveX in the browser as a fix to this vulnerability. Hence it won’t run malicious software or download malicious scripts. As long as ActiveX security holes are concerned, it gives no chance for vulnerabilities. Obviously, it won’t let you run genuine small applications or download safe scripts either. This is a good change to improve
Anti-Phishing & Anti-Malware Feature
The web browser comes with an anti-phishing and anti-malware feature. Whenever you visit a website that installs a Trojan horse or spyware, the website is automatically blocked and prevented from doing so. A warning message appears telling the website is not safe to visit.
Open Source Code- Pros & Cons
Mozilla Firefox is an open source web browser. Anyone could have access to application code. When it comes to security, there are pros and cons of being an open source application.
Hackers can easily get access to Firefox source code. They may use security vulnerabilities and bugs for malicious purpose.
The good news is that many people who have access to the source code are interested in finding and fixing the bugs. Many experts have already fixed several security bugs that enhanced browser security and privacy. The developers have already announced a prize of $500 along with a t-shirt for anyone who successfully spots a program bug.
Using Third Party Security Plug-Ins
Firefox is customizable. It supports third party plug-ins which may enhance browser security. There are many plug-ins available which provide more security features, enhance user privacy and security. Download a plug-in to improve Firefox security.
Some of them are listed below:
As the name describes, the plug-in is related to user privacy. It blows away Local Shared Objects (LSOs), advertisers and cookies left behind by websites, Adobe Flash applications and videos.
This plug-in offers a button which lets you quickly close all tabs. It has more importance in the system security because whenever you see a website downloading malicious files automatically, you can use the button to exit. This fulfils security needs of beginner to advance users.
Set the Master Password
As default, anyone who has access to your computer (either physically or virtually) can log-in to the websites where you have saved the user name and password. This causes a great security threat to the personal information stored online. Anyone who has physical or virtual access to your computer can log-in to your Facebook, Gmail, Yahoo and other accounts provided that the password was saved in the browser database.
Firefox has come with a solution- Master Password. Now specify a single Master Password in order to protect other saved passwords in the list. In this way, you have to enter the Master Password at the first time in your session for better security and safety. Those who don’t have access to your Master Password can’t retrieve other saved passwords nor log-in to your web accounts.
Specify a Master Password to improve Firefox security. Here are the steps for you:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox.
2. Click the Firefox button on the left hand side of your screen.
3. Select Options.
4. Options dialog opens.
5. Click the Security tab.
6. Under Passwords category, check-up the box “Use a master password”.
7. Specify a good strength Master Password that no one can guess or retrieve. Click OK and restart your session.
Enhance Internet Explorer Security - 10 Jul 2013 13:19
Online security is very important as long as personal and business users are concerned. Hackers use different techniques to break the security. The total threats are divided in the following three categories:
· Social Media Attacks-
Includes hacking email, banking and social media accounts, sending spam links to contacts.
· Direct Attacks on Computer System-
Includes attempts made to hack a computer device, steal personal information, using background monitoring programs and keygens to record user activities
Includes attacks on a website/ server with the intention to disrupt business activities, delete data, modify information and steal customer details.
Most of us consider Internet Explorer as a secure web browser. It contains dozens of features that protect your computer against cyber attacks, security threats, hacking and other malpractices. No doubt; there are certain vulnerabilities too.
Internet Explorer has a warning system. It protects you against dangerous and malicious downloads. It lets you to take decision before downloading anything on your system. Warning system ensures that you are downloading only safe and secure content from the Internet.
Warning System warns you whenever you try to download a potentially dangerous, malicious and harmful content from the Internet. For instance, you may receive a warning message that a particular file is not commonly downloaded and could harm your system. Make sure that the file is stored on trusted server. The warning message comes with three options; viz. Delete, Actions and View Downloads.
ActiveX Filtering helps you filter dangerous content on the Internet. It helps you customize the list of websites that can run ActiveX Controls. You can choose particular websites to run ActiveX Controls. Running ActiveX Controls from malicious websites can cause system unstability, attacks on privacy, hacking and other risks. If you want to turn off the ActiveX Filtering feature, use its button located on the left corner of the screen.
SmartScreen is used to protect your system from malware. This feature catches suspected websites which contain malicious content. It will instantly alert you whenever the site is unsafe.
Protection from Unauthorized Tracking
There are so many websites which use the latest technology to track user activities. Internet Explorer is equipped with advanced tracking protection through which you can safeguard your privacy.
You can get Tracking Protection List and install it on your system. These tracking protection lists are available from trusted sources. You can enable or disable third-party tracking.
Be Safe from Cross-Site Scripting
Internet Explorer comes with protection against cross-scripting risks. Cyber attackers can easily get access to your website code and add malicious code in it. It helps them grab information from your visitors and steal important business information.
Technically such risks are known as Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerabilities. A site may be vulnerable of such attacks. One can easily get access to website HTML Code and modify it with wrong intention.
The latest technology used in Internet Explorer web browser quickly identifies such attacks. Once these attacks are identified, it neutralizes them.
Recommended: Increase IE Security with Privacy Scanner Reginout - Comments: 0
Enhance Chrome Security - 09 Jul 2013 11:53
Google Chrome is a stable web browser. It uses SSL settings for secure data encryption. SSL is known as Secure Sockets Layer which is used while different fields are being filled with information. The browser contains many security features such as Trusted SSL Certificates, Computer-Wide SSL and adjusts web content in a mixed content website. By default Google Chrome security settings are set to middle. It offers SSL and many other security features.
Set Trusted SSL Certificates
Set Trusted SSL Certificates in order to improve Chrome security. Here are the steps to do so:
1. Click on the Wrench icon.
2. Select Options from the menu.
3. Click Under the Hood tab | Security | Manage Certificates.
4. Here you can import, export and renew the SSL Certificates.
Select Computer-Wide SSL Settings
1. The first option is “Use SSL 2.0”. It is an earlier version of SSL protocol. It is also less secure.
2. The second option is “Check for Server Certification Revocation” which enables us to track real-time verification. This type of check provides an extra layer of security.
Control Display of Mixed Content on Secure Web Pages
SSL-secured websites starting with HTTP can load content from insecure resources. This is because of the mixed content showing ability. Hackers modify the insecure resources to change the behaviour of web pages. An alert appears whenever you try to open such web pages.
Google Chrome provides three levels to deal with security problems. First one is to block all insecure content, second one is to allow insecure images and third one is to allow all insecure content.
If you select “Block all insecure content”, it will not load insecure images and show a broken image icon instead. Red boxes are shown against Frames and iFrames. You can apply this setting for particular page through the “Show all content link” on the top of the webpage.
Through Insecure images you can see the images which are separately marked for their identification.
“Allow all content to load” option enables you to load anything without security restrictions.
Additional Tip: Download Internet Optimizer/Privacy Scanner for Chrome Security - Comments: 0